Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Roasted Almonds
10 pieces of free-range chicken, preferably thighs
3 Tbsp butter
Glug of extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
20g tagine spice (see recipe below)
80g dried, soft Turkish apricots
80g pitted dates
2 medium red-skinned sweet potatoes / yams, cut into large chunks
500ml chicken stock
50g tomato paste
1 lemon, juice only
100g flaked almonds, roasted
For the tagine spice mix:
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coriander powder
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan and brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the pan, cook until lightly coloured. Add in the tagine spice and fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the honey, apricots and dates and cook for a further couple of minutes.
4. Pour in the chicken stock, tomato paste and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, season to taste.
5. Place chicken and sweet potatoes into a suitable ovenware dish and cover with the sauce. Cover with a lid and place into a preheated oven and cook for 1 hour until sweet potatoes are soft.
6. Remove from the oven and finish with the roasted almonds. Serve on jasmine rice.
Serve with Vondeling Babiana 2017.